Improving Confidence and Achievement in Numeracy (ICAN) (Primary 3 to 6)
ICAN is a
MOE-initiative to help pupils who are facing difficulties with learning
Mathematics.The target groups of this
programme are mainly the Primary 3 to 6 pupils. Our school started on this
programme in 2015. The class size is kept small so that the teacher can provide greater support to individual pupils.
Centred on the teaching and learning of concepts rather than procedure, pupils learn about the Math concepts behind the related algorithm. ICAN Teachers use strategies that provide more scaffolding to pupils during their lessons for these classes.
Pupils’ learning is guided through structured lessons with emphasis on:
- mastering basic Math facts
- constantly reviewing and revisiting concepts learnt previously
- providing scaffolds to assist pupils as they learnt new concepts
- using manipulatives to help pupils link the concrete to the pictorial to the abstract
- designing appropriate work to pupils to demonstrate mastery of the concepts and skills
- consolidating the lesson to help pupils link their learning with real world situations